[Zombies] ACID impressions:

quiller1 at email.com quiller1 at email.com
Mon Oct 18 17:28:48 PDT 2010

First impressions,

Luminol
You know, that glowing stuff you've seen on CSI.  Video for this should
be interesting, another nice use of a Tom Dissevelt sample in the
background.  Made the mirrors on my car rattle when I first popped it
in.  Lots of subtle low end manipulation. B
http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/kboudrea/demos/luminol/luminol.htm
http://science.howstuffworks.com/luminol.htm
http://www.zazzle.com/luminol_it_just_abour_ruins_everything_tshirt-235567948988752253

Mnemonic
Full track from the snippet we heard as the intro to Music for
Planetarium.  Synthi 100 gets really noisy, dirty, and squelchy on this
one.  Was expecting something a bit more from the video, but this is
one of the best tracks on this disc. A

MYC
Great start to this track, plodding metallic tones with some odd
vocoder and lots of space, bassline--boom into dubstep.  Finish off
with a straight forward acid line. B+

Let Me Set
A basic dubstep tune.  Sounds like it could have been an outtake from
Autoimmune.  Not really feeling this one.  Mostly just plods along. C-

# Zero
Acid electro.  Definitely an homage to Kraftwerk's "Numbers".
Reappearance of the Revolution 9 "Number nine" sample.  Probably the
most acid house inspired thing MBM ever did.  Also probably the result
of hanging out with Jon Drukman.  Excellent production on this track,
the way the synths bounce around the stereo.  Underwhelmed by the video
for this too.  Nothing revolutionary, just quality. A

Quietus
My current favorite track from this album.  Those female vocals just
get stuck in your head.  Reuses some sounds from "Prime Audio Soup".
Single please.  The video for this one is excellent too.
"Go to sleep"
"Sometimes, I wonder why" Don't we all? A+

Token Words
Wyndham Lewis pops up again.  Jack Danger's usual insertion of a
musique concrete piece in his MBM
albums.  Less random sound manipulation like "Colors of Sound", more
like the excellent Music for Planetarium.  Title probably a pun "toking
words", bet this would sound real good in a darkened room. B

Waterphone
Second favorite track on this album.  The waterphone takes center stage
again since its heavy use on Subliminal Sandwich.  Sounds like there's
a rattle snake in the background.  Once the Synthi gets fired-up
towards the end, takes the track to another level. A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyv6t3OS3c

010130
Akin to "Wavy Line" from Actual Sounds + Voices.  Unecessary, but
ultimately inoffensive brief interlude. C

Zenta!
More of the Raudive sample, dead ladies questioning my belief in a
supernatural realm. "You are sleeping, you do not want to believe".
More dubstep, not my favorite genre of music. C

Please
Videodrome samples are always good.  I think I remember hearing the
melody used in this track from a one-off MBM track used on a
compilation back in the 90's.  The choir like voices remind me of
"Euthanasia" from Satyricon.  Good track.  B+

Chimie du Son
French for "chemistry of sound", "sound chemistry".  An excellent
experimental track from MBM.  Sounds like something that should have
been on Loudness Clarifies.  Lots of weird sounds and cool
manipulations going on throughout this track.  "That is not true",
*gunshots*.  Last sound, gun reloading. A

Overall: B

Not my favorite MBM release by a long shot.  I think MBM is best when
it does maximal, not minimal.  Plus, I thought MBM already went down
that road when Jack made RUOK?  One thing I can always say about Jack
is he is consistently an excellent producer and this is no exception.
Maybe when the whole dubstep zeitgeist washes over, we'll have less of
the plodding wobble.  MBM is also at its best when it goes its own
direction, rather than paying attention to what's momentarily popular.

Plus, I must mention, the bass on this is excellent and more attention
has been paid to this than on any previous MBM albums.  Don't make the
mistake of listening to this on tinny computer speakers.

As is true of all MBM albums play twice before listening.

peace

quiller