[Zombies] Answers come in dreams

Micah Stupak micah at benthic.cc
Sat Aug 14 10:23:07 PDT 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 7:16 AM, quiller1 at email.com wrote:

> For a preview of the phenomenon of number stations mentioned in the
> interview for the track "# Zero", check out the Conet Project.
>
> http://www.archive.org/details/ird059
>
> Boards of Canada also used them in their track "Gyroscope" and I
> believe Jack is referring to the track "1234" from Archive Things
> which he did with Paul Freegard back in 1982.

Those numbers stations are something else. I got the Conet set when it
came out (as I was always a bit of a shortwave nerd) and it can easily
be one of the most unsettling, unusual, and fascinating things you'll
ever hear. Lots of musicians have used them, the most famous probably
being Wilco with the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album. I don't think anyone
has used them more often than Richard H Kirk, formerly of Cabaret
Voltaire. He's got at least a half-dozen releases in which they
feature prominently.

---
Micah Stupak
micah at benthic.cc