[Zombies] Samples (Version Galore part 14)

Levi Just quiller1 at email.com
Sat Sep 19 20:42:02 PDT 2009

Hi there fellow Zombies,

Just a recap before we proceed with the trainspotting:

There will be no website, blog, or other overtly public information on these sample lists I've been compiling.  I don't want to be the guy getting a message from MBM's manager complaining about how I'm being a jackass for getting the band in legal trouble.
Last I checked the Zombie email list isn't being compiled into a public archive somewhere.  This is where I thought the archives were stored, although when I try to enter them my browser says the link is broken:
I remember in the past you could find old posts in a public archive, but maybe Hollyfeld's not compiling them anymore?
The thing to be concerned about is when a person can type in "meat beat manifesto samples" in a search engine and get a big fat sample
list right at the top of the searches.  That's too public.

And away we go:

Cabaret Voltaire - Silent Command
sampled in "Re-animator (part 3)" from Storm the Studio and
"Reanimator" from Armed Audio Warfare
http://www.last.fm/music/Cabaret+Voltaire/_/Silent+Command
http://www.discogs.com/Cabaret-Voltaire-Silent-Command/release/28561

"A spokesman at the health ministry said, 'To talk repeatedly about
AIDS will cause the public to panic.  Tourism will certainly be
effected.'"
This vocal sample in "Re-animator (part 4)" from Storm the Studio
is likely taken from the BBC Channel 4 documentary film "Foreign
Bodies" (1988) by Alison Porteous & Tim Cooper about child
prostitution in Thailand.  The quote is a reference to a statement
made in 1978 by Thailand's Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of
Public Health, Dr. Pairote Ningsanonda who feared that talking
about an AIDS crisis in Thailand would prevent Western sex tourists
from visiting the country.  Not much info on this film on the
internets.
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/416893
Found a blurb in French about it here:
http://placebo.unicaen.fr/Cindoc.web/www.cine3mondes.fr/INS/N3/zoom.html

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart @2:24-2:32
drums hits and horn hits
sampled in "I Got the Fear (part 1)" @0:49 drums and “I Got the
Fear (part 4)” @1:11, drums and 4:41, horn hits from Storm the
Studio, remixes of "I Got the Fear"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6WtP66gQo

Herbie Hancock - Rockit @1:51
scratching
sampled in “I Got the Fear (part 4)” @1:21 and remixes of “I Got the Fear”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0Pi4wC8Hk
uses the classic "Fresh" scratch from Fab 5 Freddies - Change Le
Beat, very end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCn-dvtO-PA

Attilio Mineo - Welcome to Tomorrow
Attilio Mineo Conducts Man in Space with Sounds
http://36-15-moog.blogspot.com/2008/05/attilio-mineo-conducts-man-in-space.html
http://www.discogs.com/Attilio-Mineo-Man-In-Space-With-Sounds/release/606253
The orchestral music playing in the background of the sample from
"The Weird World of LSD (1967)" is from this recording.
“We are about to take you into the world of the LSD user.  A world
that to him is real, yet is terrifying and unreal as anything ever
imagined.  We call his trip of terror to fly a giant bird.”
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xni18_the-weird-world-of-lsd-1967_shortfilms
sampled in "God O.D." from the God O.D. single
DHS - Acid 3D (remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrGLeSvrh-A

Mandrill - Peace and Love - Movement V (Beginning)
"Peace, love" at very end
sampled in "Mindstream" from Satyricon
http://www.last.fm/music/Mandrill/_/Peace%2520And%2520Love%253A%2520%2520Movement%2520IV%2520(Encounter)%2520%252F%2520Movement%2520V%2520(Beginning)?ac=mandrill%20pea
http://www.discogs.com/Mandrill-Mandrill/master/60823

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - Bedazzled
"The Milionaire"
sampled in "Placebo" from Satyricon
http://www.dinosaurgardens.com/?s=bedazzled&submit=GO

Dick Hyman - The Minotaur
sampled in “Mass Producing Hate” from Subliminal Sandwich
http://36-15-moog.blogspot.com/2008/03/dick-hyman-moog-electric-eclectics-of.html
http://www.discogs.com/Dick-Hyman-Moog-The-Electric-Eclectics-Of-/release/113235

John Cage - Variations IV, "Introduction"
"In the grooves of this record is the sound of John Cage"
sampled in "We Done" from Subliminal Sandwich
http://www.last.fm/music/John+Cage%2C+David+Tudor/_/Performance+Introduction?autostart
http://closetcurios2.blogspot.com/2009/05/variations-iv.html

Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc. - The Science of Sound, “Filtered
Music and Speech”
“If we allow only those frequencies between three hundred
seventy-five and two thousand cycles to be heard, my voice will
sound like this”
“We have filtered out all frequencies”
sampled in "I Control (Audio Collage #2)"
http://closetcurios2.blogspot.com/2009/03/science-of-sound.html
Must have been really into Folkways records during this period.
http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdetails.aspx?itemid=2080
http://www.discogs.com/Bell-Telephone-Laboratories-Inc-The-Science-Of-Sound/release/857801
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGsgXAtERk

Bob Andy - Unchained
A dub version of this called "Congo Call" is the source of the sample.
"Set me free"
sampled in "Prime Audio Soup"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5JNcn9Bgs
http://www.discogs.com/Bob-Andy-Unchained/release/786988

Soul Survivors - Can You Feel It
“When the whistle blows anything goes, but when you do it, do it with soul!”
sampled in “Book of Shadows” from Actual Sounds + Voices and “Do It
With Soul” from Live '05
http://rapidshare.com/files/41278641/Soul_Survivors_-_1967_-_When_The_Whistle_Blows_Anything_Goes.rar
http://www.discogs.com/Soul-Survivors-When-The-Whistle-Blows-Anything-Goes/release/635053

Charles Dodge - Synthesized Voices (1976)
“He Destroyed Her Image”
sampled in "3 Floors Above You" from Actual Sounds + Voices
“The Days Are Ahead”
sampled in “What Does It All Mean?" from RUOK?
http://36-15-moog.blogspot.com/2008/06/charles-dodge-synthesized-voices-1976.html

The Hellers - Life Story
"You know? I think I'll tell you the story of my life.”
sampled in “What Does It all Mean (So Damn Insane mix) vs. DHS"
http://36-15-moog.blogspot.com/2008/06/hellers-singers-talkers-players.html
http://www.discogs.com/Hellers-SingersTalkersPlayersSwingers-Doers/release/1569530

Edgard Varese - Poeme Electronique, woman’s voice @1:23
sampled in live version of “Hello Teenage America” @2:36 from Live ‘05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKyYmU2tPg

The Sounds and Music of the RCA Electronic Music Synthesizer
Disc 1 - Side B - “The Synthesis of Music: Synthesis by Parts (part 1)”
“Music is a succession of tones so arranged as to create a desired
effect.  Let us synthesize a series of tones to make a melody like
this.”
This recording is featured on the alternate video channel on the In Dub DVD.
sampled in Tino’s “Exercise in Melody”
http://36-15-moog.blogspot.com/2008/04/sounds-and-music-of-rca-electronic.html

Ruth White - Flowers of Evil, “The Clock”
“Remember”
and
“Evening Harmony” @2:09
“Time”
“Now is the time”
“The violent drums like a wounded heart”
“A tender heart that heeds the huge black void”
“The sky is so beautiful, like a vast alter”
“Dreams remain”
sampled in “Numbers” by Bo Square from Sizing Things Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ba4-nurH9Y
http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/04/ruth-white-flowers-of-evil-1969seven.html
(I should mention that this Mutant Sounds blog is fantastic.  If
you're a fan of ancient, rare, and undiscovered electronic music,
check the archives of this blog, its like Christmas morning.)
http://www.discogs.com/Ruth-White-Flowers-Of-Evil/release/974211

peace

quiller

--