[Zombies] New Album...

Jon Whitney turbid at turbid.com
Fri Nov 30 16:31:54 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 4:20 PM, Wang Xu Lee <copsbeatinghippies at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Would have rather seen MBM release it independent and
> do a distro deal with Caroline, Revolver or Cargo like
> most other artists of their caliber seem to do. They'd
> get the same penetration and all the money.

Yeah but then who does the press, radio, and retail campaigns?  At
least Planet Mu already have a system in place and are reputable
enough that distributors and stores still buy from them. Making a dent
with Tino Corp proved to be extremely difficult.  Nevermind chasing
all the distributors down that you have to use with regards to getting
paid!

> The Planet Mu crowd is going outright steal the cd and
> trade it among themselves to complete their
> collections, meanwhile the actual MBM fans will still
> purchase it, so the numbers aren't really going to
> change from previous releases.

More people stealing the record isn't a bad thing.  It'll bring more
crowds to shows. Bands don't make money off CD sales these days
anyhow, if you've been paying attention to all the chains closing down
left and right and all the bigger labels posting bigger losses than
last year.

> Planet Mu has everything to gain, and MBM everything
> to lose as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all.  MBM could use to be on a label
with much larger hip cred and stability than ://Run Recordings.
Remember them?  MBM need new audiences.  Their last tour had
depressingly low turnouts.  The industrial kids moved on, the big beat
and techno kids moved on, who's left?  It's time for new generations
of fans.

> Bad move. I'll probably download it off soulseek in
> protest.

I think it's a great move.  Go MBM!