[Zombies] New Album...

Jon Whitney turbid at turbid.com
Sat Dec 1 08:06:37 PST 2007

Piracy will always exist, albums will always get leaked so long as the
business relies on the press for coverage but die hard fans who want
to buy product will always want to buy product.

The industry has historically relied on fair weather fans - people who
impulsively buy something they think is okay. iTunes, eMusic, etc,..
are actually great for that actually.  The thing is that BANDS should
be putting those things on there themselves.  They can make money
directly without a "label" taking a piece of the pie.

Additionally, bands still make money when they tour and sell their CDs
and merch there.

Bands also make money when they listen to the fans and sell them what they want!

That said, it would be awesome if Jack & Co. started selling things
like Eccentric Objects, Sounds of the 20th Century, Archive Things,
and old 12" tracks from before the PIAS days on iTunes.

On Dec 1, 2007 12:28 AM,  <w.wonka0 at cox.net> wrote:

> Yeah, actually I've been thinking a lot about that recently. I'm of the opinion that we need to establish a new model for music releases. Its just freaking awful for an artist to spend so much time, money and effort giving birth to a body of work and then get pirated for 100s of times what they actually sell. This was just the first idea that came to my mind, but what if an artist produced a project, announced its completion to the fans, and then set a target price they wanted to receive from it. People could log on to their website and donate to the "album release fund" whatever they could afford or wanted to spend. Then, when the artist was satisfied with their receipts, they would simply release the package, music, artwork, interactives, whatever, for download, free of charge, to everybody. Unless somebody leaked the material prior to release, that would effectively eliminate piracy, and as a nice added bonus would cut the recording industry out of the equation entirely. Don't castigate me for having a stupid idea, but I think we need to start thinking for alternative models, 'cause the old one just ain't making it anymore.

Brainwashed Inc:
brainwashed.com | Brainwashed Recordings | Killer Pimp Music
P.O. Box 7 / Arlington, MA 02476 / USA