[Zombies] the live CD

jbeisler at juno.com jbeisler at juno.com
Thu Mar 2 20:45:08 PST 2006

Dalek is amazing.  Noise collages, think My Bloody Valentine as a rap band.  I've seen them live a bunch of times and was blown away every time.  Earplugs are a good idea, though, they have a pretty harsh sound.  Still, I'm surprised more MBM fans didn't enjoy them.  I wish I could've caught that double bill!
--Josh

-- felicia <flicka_23 at yahoo.com> wrote:
When Dalek was playing in Houston, if there was even the slightest pause, you could hear some booing from the audience. Pretty rough, but it IS Houston.

As a friend of ours said, you can't bring a band like THAT into a hip-hop town.

Jonathan Eric Miller <jemiller at uchicago.edu> wrote:
I thought I read somewhere how Metro was going to start recording shows and
selling CDs. Maybe I'm just dreaming. I'm wondering if maybe this is how the
CD came about...

It goes without saying that last night's show was pretty excellent. How do
you go wrong with Jack Dangers and Ben Stokes on stage? The highlights for
me were the songs that had vocals. God O.D. in particular. I also liked the
music that they were playing towards the end and House of God was of course
good. I forget what he said, but, I was wondering if they were kind of
improving some of the later songs. I thought the intro could have been a
little better. It seemed like it got off to a little bit of a slow start
starting off with I Am Electro. Not that there's anything wrong with that
song, but, being a fan of STS, maybe I just expected something more upbeat
to get things going.

Was it just me, or was the guy on drums not really playing? I'm guessing he
was just there for stage presence and the drums weren't live. He did a great
job though. They played for at least an hour and half. His arms had to be
getting tired by the end.

As for the sound system, Jack was able to coax bass out of it that I wasn't
sure even he could do. The Abbey's sound system isn't bad, but, I never
thought it was that great either. The bass was much appreciated after all
the high end treble crap noise that Dalek was playing.

As for Dalek, they pretty much suck as far as I'm concerned. Rap vocals that
all sounded the same over noise that all sounded the same. Thank god for ear
plugs. I liked the part at the end where he told the crowd to fuck off
though. That part was pretty good. I'm sure that will win him a lot of new
fans.

Jon