[Zombies] Numbers ??

Jon Whitney turbid at turbid.com
Wed Jun 29 14:03:53 EDT 2005

The Boston show was small too.  Maybe more than 200 however.  I don't find
it "strange" as the landscape has changed a lot since 1998.  They're no
longer mass distributed by Trent Reznor's pet project label so they don't
have that buzz working for them,  they've also not undertook a live tour
in 7 years, this tour came together very quickly without much warning so a
lot of people might have missed it, and there's probably a few other
reasons too regarding summer club tours (club tours work better in the
fall and spring because bigger clubs are in college towns and college kids
go away in the summers).

However, this was easily the best Meat Beat tour - for one main reason:
it's all really "come together" audio and visual-wise this time around.
The samples aren't primarily driven by a keyboard with programmed samples,
they're actually sampling the films and videos live on the two big screens
while a drummer plays live and Mark Pistel was feeding melodies and loops
through Ableton Live.  It was the best usage of all the gear involved:
sure video sampling and live manipulation isn't anything new but to have
that coordinated with drums and vocals and other music made every part
necessary and evenly weighted.

It was a hits package of sorts, however, and I would love to see some
attention brought back to them so new stuff can be incorporated to the
next tours!