[Zombies] off-topic: okay this isn't a chain letter this time

Chris Treadway chris at re-fresh.com
Thu Jun 16 09:13:19 EDT 2005

Where...

Last week, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) released a
report [PDF] showing that between 2002-2004, the Department of
Defense declared $33 BILLION worth of purchased goods to be "excess"
- materials it didn't need or didn't end up using. Not only did DoD
accumulate a surplus of materials about half the size of the total
budget of the Department of Education or the Department of Health and
Human Services, but it also lost weapons critical to our national
security, and bought duplicates of materials that it had thrown away.