[Zombies] URB Essentials - MBM

felicia flicka_23 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 10:00:38 EDT 2005

(forgive me if this was already posted...didn't see it...)

URB Magazine (April 2005 issue, page 104) - URB Essentials section had A look back at the greatest URB albums of all times (Plus some classics you might have missed).

First album mentioned: MBM - Satyricon

Meat Beat Manifesto - Satyricon (Play It Again Sam /Mute U.S.)
    We've said it before, but here it is again. Jack Dangers and Jonny Stephens, the evil geniuses behind Meat Beat Manifesto, are flippin' wizards. They're the dub Aphex Twin. OK, when Meat Beat originated back in 1987, they were touted as industrial (because they were on Wax Trax!), but that was before every music writer with a thesaurus and a hard-on for marketing started pulling stuff like "acid reggae flute jazz" out their asses.
   Dangers and Stephens left Wax Trax! for Electra in 1992, leaving the industrial moniker behind, too. The media christened the major-label debut Satyricon "techno", which can be attributed both to their tour with Orbital and Ultramarine, and the album's hooky update of synth pop nancies such as Depeche Mode, who were basically mincing Detroit techno groupies to begin with.
  Since then, the Meat Beat cut and paste sound, drawing on disparate influences, has led writers to describe Satyricon as a catalyst for everything from trip-hop to jungle. Subsequent releases went on to explore even less conventional aesthetics, and writers (including this one) still struggle to define this album. But, like Michael Jackson said (before he went crazy and started force-feeding boy scouts Merlot): "You got to be starting something." - Ken Jannette

Also, I'm sure to no ones surprise, in the same issue - Charts section, Z-trip has MBM - What is Hip? listed in his top 10.

cheers,
felicia