[Zombies] R.U.O.K In Dub DVD

Robert P. Krajewski rpk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 27 21:44:29 EST 2004

What is it with you people ? I can't believe nobody else has posted about
this since it was released weeks ago. Well, I just watched/listened to on
the following setup:

- Denon AVR-1603 Surround Receiver (discontinued model recently acquired)
- Cambridge Soundworks Series 3 (5 x 2-way speakers plus woofer unit)
- no subwoofer

Other technical notes: there's also a stereo mix (I didn't check to see if
it's Dolby Digital or 16 bit/48 kHz linear), and because this is about the
length of a CD, the bit rate is pretty high, usually at least 7 Mb/s and
sometimes peaking to 9.8 or so. The separate tracks seem to be divided into
separate "programs" and not chapters of one program. One sequence features
multiple camera angles (actually a selection of different visual companions
to the track).

Anyway, it sounds great. If you consider it a remix of R.U.O.K., it is
*much* more groove-orientated, bringing to mind Jack's earlier, funnier work
(ha ha). DJ Collage does a good job toasting; effects and reverb use the
rear channels without pinging around too distractingly. It would sound great
at a party, and your guests could stare at images of space, gritty San
Francisco and environs, radio and audio (even "five channel") motifs, and
Tapelab. One sequence features Jack in an spacesuit floating around an
interior which is synthesized out of a lot of equipment (especially modular
synths) in Tapelab.

So go get it, fools, it's not much more expensive than a CD.