[Nagnagnag] Listen Up With

Jon Whitney turbid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 22:33:30 PDT 2009

hi,

i don't have exact years BUT i have made the following guesses given
the instrumentation, production value, and history:

This Is Our Religion - 81
Time In Minutes - 82
Playing For Time - 82
they're sounding like somewhere between Red Mecca and 2x45 and sound
earlier than The Virgin Years - The Crackdown/Micro-Phonies/Drinking
Gasoline/The Arm of the Lord

plus, Virgin probably wouldn't have let them get away with using these
songs if they recorded them on Virgin's dime (remember they came out
on Mute in 1990 before Virgin was bought by EMI and EMI bought Mute)

Why - 1986
Don't Drive Fast - 1986
Enough's Enough - 1986
That's The Way It Works - 1986

just as the other songs seem to pre-date Virgin, these songs seem to
post-date the Virgin years and pre-date Code, possibly sounding like
Code demos or something. Once again I doubt EMI would have let these
tracks get away if CV were "signed" artists.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Carlos Soares<ghostalking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to the list, and i was wondering if anybody knows when the 7
> previously unreleased tracks in "Listen Up With" where recorded?
> There is no date info on the LP re CD release...
> As they are Kirk / Mallinder they were recorded after 1981.
> I've read they are from the 1983  crackdown session wich sound odd...
> Any idea?
>

> "Listen Up With" Tracklisting (checked from discogs and brainwashed)
>
> 1.1 Baader Meinhof (3:23)
> 1.2 Sex In Secret (3:57)
> Tracks 1.1 & 1.2 released on A Factory Sample EP FAC-2 (not FAC-4 as
> reported on the sleeve) 1978
> 1.3 Raising The Count (3:37)
> Track 1.3 released on NME/Rough Trade cassette (COPY 1) 1981
> 1.4 This Is Our Religion (4:00)
> Previously unreleased
>
> 1.5 Loosen The Clamp (4:50)
> Track 1.5 released on NME/Mighty Reel cassette (NME 4) 1982
> 1.6 Automotivation (6:04)
> Track 1.6 released on Gasoline In Your Eye VHS (Video only) [1985]
> 1.7 Dead Mans Shoes (6:03)
> Track 1.7 released on Diamond In The Mouth Of A Corpse LP 1985
> 1.8 Time In Minutes (4:03)
> Previously unreleased
>
> 2.1 Trust In The Lord (5:56)
> Track 2.1 released on It's Clean, It Just Looks Dirty VHS Video Compilation
> by John Giorno (Video Pack 3) [1987]
> 2.2 Over And Over (4:26)
> Track 2.2 released on Vinyl Magazine #13 flexi-disc 1982
> 2.3 Playing For Time (7:10)
> Previously unreleased
> 2.4 Mercy Man (6:24)
> Track 2.4 released on NME/Raging Spool cassette 1984
>
> 2.5 Why (6:33)
> Previously unreleased
> 2.6 Don't Drive Fast (7:22)
> Previously unreleased
> 2.7 Enough's Enough (5:45)
> Previously unreleased
> 2.8 That's The Way It Works (6:34)
> Previously unreleased
>
> Thanks,
> Carlos

Brainwashed Inc:
brainwashed.com | Brainwashed Recordings | Killer Pimp Music | Brainwaves Fest
P.O. Box 7 / Arlington, MA 02476 / USA