[Nagnagnag] Re: contents of Nagnagnag Digest, Vol 71, Issue 3

Jon Whitney turbid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 07:27:39 PST 2009

Hi,

Actually when I have uploaded music to be sold through iTunes, I have
always uploaded uncompressed WAV files so they're probably being
re-converted from original files rather than being "upconverted."

I have also done numerous comparisons of Apple's 128 AACs and 128 MP3s
and have found the AACs are embarrassingly poor performers at higher
ends and lower ends of the audio spectrum so I outright deny your
claim that a 128 AAC is better than a 128 MP3.

But anyhow, since you work for Apple in some capacity that allows you
to speak for them in the "we" sense, I'd like to know: since DRM is
going the way of the dodo, when will we see the ability to copy music
"off" iPods?

Thanks

My best to good old Steve and hope his health gets better,

Jon

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Stephen Austra-Beck
<saustrabeck at me.com> wrote:
> "That entire tirade is interesting and scary.  Very Kirk."   That's
> excellent!!  I work for Apple, so can say we they're not an "upversion" of
> 128 to 256.  With our compression off the digital masters, the 128 was
> better than a 128 mp3.  They're 256 from the artists digital masters.  I'm
> really happy we've made his catalogue available at 256.
>
> -Stephen /
>
> On 1/29/09 6:37 PM, "Mike Messick" <mike at angryjester.com> wrote:
>
> It sounds like he took the title from a passage deep in the raspy preacher's
> sermon where he references "gold and silver" and then "dollars and cents".
>  That entire tirade is interesting and scary.  Very Kirk.
>
> With iTunes, it seems like most of the catalogue has been updated to
> iTunesPlus so the quality is now 256.  I hope it is a genuine 256 and not
> just an upconversion from 128 to 256.
>
> Regardless, for the more recent releases there's no other venue to obtain
> them so it'll have to do.
>
> ...Now if we could just convince him to tour the U.S.
>
> - Mike

Brainwashed Inc:
brainwashed.com | Brainwashed Recordings | Killer Pimp Music |
Brainwaves 2008 Festival
P.O. Box 7 / Arlington, MA 02476 / USA