[Nagnagnag] Kirk lurking like Colin Newman

paulus hook p_hook at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 26 19:09:08 PST 2006

> yenpoxboy at yahoo.com [Grant] writes:

>  Does Colin Newman really watch over the Wire list?

That's originally how I made his acquaintance ten years
ago.  I'm not sure if he's still trolling about today though.

Colin is one of the few artists that has a *real* page on
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/9427197.  I say "real"
because most of the musician pages you find on Myspace
are just fans posing as the artist.

> I love all of Wire's solo projects much better.

Colin's solo albums ('A-Z', 'Commercial Suicide', '...Singing
Fish/Not to', et al.) are all brilliant.  Edvard's He Said project
is also phenomenal, as is Dome, but I still love Wire's first
three albums from the late seventies the most.

> Maybe that's why Colin watches over the list...

I think almost every artist is somewhat curious about what
their fans or colleagues are saying about their work.  Ideally
artists produce for themselves, but they do not live in a
vacuum, and ultimately wish to entertain their audience on
some level.

By keeping a low profile, the list members are more likely to
be honest with their commentary.  In the end, it's a nice ego
boost for the artist, as the list members would all likely toss
their hero's salad if given the chance.  After all, we do not
join these list because we are *not* huge fans.

p*h