[Nagnagnag] Re: [Cabaretvoltaire] Xon 12" / Gordon

paulus hook p_hook at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 25 04:01:09 PST 2006

> yenpoxboy at yahoo.com [Grant] writes:

> I suspect the reason that Kirk worked with Robert Gordon
> was because Cabaret Voltaire had just recorded their
> 'Groovy, Laidback and Nasty' album with him the year
> before.

I do not know of any joint efforts between Kirk and Gordon
prior to 1988, so it would make sense that they met roughly
around that time, although as fellow Sheffielders, they could
have easily been mates for years prior to that.  After all, Kirk
was a revered member of the Sheffield scene since the 70s.

>From what I understand, in the late 1980s, the two recording
studios making the biggest splash in Sheffield, were Robert
Gordon's 'Fon' and Richard Kirk's 'Western Works'.  It was in
the later part of this decade, that the two studios contributed
largely to the burgeoning bass and bleeps sound.

Recorded under the Forgemasters moniker, Gordon's 'Track
With No Name', became Warp Records' first release (WAP_1)
in 1989.  The following year, Richard Kirk and collaborator
Richard Barratt, known as Sweet Exorcist, released Warp's
third record, 'Testone' (WAP_3).

> Anyone else really liked the Xon project?

It a lovely record.  I also greatly enjoy Kirk's work on Gordon's
'Clap'.  This was released on the Forgemasters 'The Black
Steel EP' (NWKT_30).

I adore this early period of the Sheffield sound.  In addition
to Kirk and Gordon, fellow Fon Force members, Mark Brydon
and Mark Gamble, made some seriously good records and
remixes.  For more, check Discogs:

Robert Gordon: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Robert+Gordon
Mark Brydon: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Mark+Brydon
Mark Gamble: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Mark+Gamble