[Nagnagnag] The Conversation/Rumours (ONLY Kirk? - or WAS Mal involved too?)

Richard Smith - TW News r.smith at bbc.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 08:39:18 PST 2006

Re: Mal and the final three...

This is a familiar topic to people on the cabs yahoo group.
What we know for sure is: Mal was fully involved on Plasticity...I know
because i interviewed them on the day they finished at and they played
me some of it at Western Works (sorry to those who think "oh no, not
that bloody story again"!).  In the tour which followed a couple of
months later they played a lot of material - with vocals - which would
later appear on Internation Language...the backing tapes used for the IL
material live are also the same as those which appeared on the IL album
- therefore i think it's safe to assume a lot of the IL stuff was
recorded at the same time or very soon after Plasticity.

The true mystery is The Conversation.  It's true that the writing credit
contradicts the statement that RHK played everything.  I don't believe
there has ever been any information on this either way.  Given that RHK
was by this time regularly producing his own material it's strange to
think he'd put out a solo album under the Cabs name.  Also this was the
one and only album on Apollo so it's unlikely to have been put out as a
contractual obligation under the Cabs name - you'd think if RHK and Mal
had split before they began work on it together then Apollo would have
accepted a name change to an RHK-alias.

My best guess is that they both worked on demo-ing the material but
something happened - a degree of falling out or agreement to differ -
which led to Mal dropping out at that stage and RHK delivering it.

Speculation though.

Richard

Find flowers, candy and directions to a romantic restaurant with Windows
Live Local <http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2734??PS=47575>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.