[Nagnagnag] Press Release - Richard H Kirk Monday 17th October 2005

Mark Kolmar mark at burningrome.com
Mon Oct 17 15:36:05 EDT 2005

Anyone have a clue whether Bit Crackle will be released on CD?

Anyone else find it deeply ironic that the work of the world's most
paranoid man is now sold with heavy digital rights management? -- i.e.
the machine will determine how and when these files may be used.

We're seeing great strides forward in terms of ease of distribution,
reducing overhead, etc.  But the actual audio fidelity is moving backwards.

I have very mixed feelings about iTunes, and services like it.  One
potential, easy side effect can be your music collection survives only
as long as your computer (or hard drive) does.  Generally, it's possible
to burn the audio to a CD.  While the files sound pretty good, they are
decidedly *not* CD quality.

I have other, more arcane concerns about kids who will grow up hearing
almost exclusively perceptually-encoded music -- sound on TV & radio,
internet radio services, DVD, and video games is all lossy....  (I mean
lossy like MP3 is lossy -- not on a technicality like the way FM radio
and the audio on VHS tapes works.)

--Mark