[Nagnagnag] EMI-Manhattan label

paulus hook p_hook at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 18:56:10 PST 2005

>> turbid at turbid.com writes:

>> Piet Mondrian, 'Broadway Boogie Woogie':
>> http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2002

>> Is this the same piece used for the generic EMI-Manhattan
>> 12" & 7" sleeves from the 1980s?

> p_hook at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I've been curious about that as well.  It's quite possible that
> EMI's Manhattan sublabel simply lifted a detail from the
> painting.  At very least the design is an obvious homage to
> Mondrian's painting.

My friend who's pop used to run Manhattan had this to say:

"The Manhattan label definitely used 'Broadway Boogie Woogie'
as the basis for their logo.  They got permission from MoMA to
use the painting as long as they kept the original pattern.
However, for a while another executive took over the label in
the late 80s and had the bright idea of changing the original
Mondrian colors to yellow and green.  I don't know if there were
any repercussions from that, although there should have been!
At least it's back to normal now."

-R