[Nagnagnag] Kirk in the 90s

Charles R. Terhune terhune1 at rcn.com
Wed Jan 14 10:32:56 EST 2004

>Have to disagree with this "Kirk had his best work in 1994" argument I'm
>afraid..sorry. Obviously there was a good deal of top stuff in that year
>("The Conversation" amonst them).

   The idea i=of justice comes to mind as one of his weaker works.  i think
it was very much of a transitional piece, in that he was working away from
ambient stuff into the newer vein.

> The stuff he's done since then isevery
>bit as imaginative-"Chant to Jah" was a masterpiece (and unique in his
body
>of work as well) of dub and electronica, love BCD, since the mid 90's he
>released the Nitrogen stuff, Loopstatic, Neurometrik, (which was
different
>to me than the earlier Electronic Eye CD's), TWAT, Orchestra Terrestrial,
>(marvellous)....

   SHIT!  I never got orchestra terrestrial!!!  Damn!

> plus released the Cabs collections and "Live at the
>Hacienda", one of my fave live Cabs albums. That first Electronic Eye CD
was
>ace-but had its fair share of "filler" tracks and ambient twiddling too
>which padded out on the 2nd CD....
>

>He's released weaker albums every so often throughout his career to
me-I
>never saw Number Of Magic or Blacworld as "up there" with his best
body of
>work, but has always come back stronger-long live the Kirkster! Neither
did
>I rate Digital Terrestrial-but even RHK is allowed to have these odd
moments
>of mortality!

    Number of magic is one of my favorite discs.  Really superb funk.  I think
alof of his latest stufff has been spotty.  BCD and TWAT are okay, but not
terribly "sticky" in my mind.  I love the laast electronic eye cd.  super
bitching.

- CRT