[Nagnagnag] a flurry of Kirk

john smith jean_marclawtonll at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 17:11:57 EDT 2003

After what seems like a (relative) period of very little we seem to have
been hit by a flurry of Kirk related and Watson related releases recently
(oh that the two would actually release a collaboration)

I've had a good read of Jon Whitney's comments on the recent Kirk releases
and very incisive reviews they were, not that I've heard Methodology yet or
the Yashar remixes. For those of us who have been lucky enough to catch Kirk
live in his concerts of the last year or so (all in London) TWAT is a very
good representation of where he's been at (and the Nag3 remixes) its
interesting that he's let someone else mix it for once (just up the road
from me and Nic Doye actually) and it benefits from it. For me Kirk is at
his best when he's composing these longer pieces, you wouldn't call them
songs, indeed he's not a song writer, but more of an electronic composer.
Whether Chance vs Causality will ever get an official release as Jon
wonders, well Chris Watson would have to agree to it too, maybe he would now
having said no in the past.

Anyway for those of you interested there is another issue of Yorkshire Ham
available. This one has taken longer to do cos we got carried away with
delusions of grandeur. Its got the usual news, reviews, stories, articles
and so on, better pictures than before but it also comes with a cd of
remixes and reinterpretations of Kirk's work with both the Cabs and his own
solo work. There's nine tracks including one mystery track. The Cabs stuff
is of very old material and not the commercial stuff covered to death on
recent EMI / VIRGIN releases.

The magazines and cds are all ready, but I'm still waiting on the covers for
the cds. The first batch should be ready by tuesday of next week though. I'm
not sure of the final price yet as I haven't had the bill for the covers
yet, however it'll retail at whatever price it all cost to do.

If anyone would like to express an interest in obtaining one, then drop me
an e-mail so I can have some idea of how many to make available.

      Regards    Jean-Marc