[Nagnagnag] Re: Kirk XFM now mp3

Pat Slade pslade99 at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 10:01:56 EDT 2003

I personally have a strong aversion to seeing readily available material on
the server.

My feeling is that it's there for folks to get that hard, and I do mean hard
to find material, out of print, concerts, etc.  Wicky Wacky etc.  Non cd
Alphaphone tracks.

I would be very unhappy if saw some Mute re-issue, Loopstatic, Creach etc.
on there.

I know we have all traded this stuff for what seems forever, and most of the
folks I've traded with we always did it to get it each other the tunes we
hadn't run across yet ourselves.  We always managed to finally find the
originals to buy.

I was very shocked and excited to run across the Yashar remixes last week on
there.  But on the other hand it makes me feel very funny:  we are getting
the material now before it has even hit the shops.  I know we are all true
fans and will rush right out and get the vinyl, but...I don't know, but
maybe people won't.  Maybe they think they don't need to buy it now.

Also, and I brought this up with Kiek, but once the whole server thing is
out there, the log-ins are in the public domain as it were here at the
naglist or cab club...they are out there.  My husband was downloading me
some tracks from soulseek a few months ago, and someone sent him a mail and
said:  you know you can get all this from this server and proceeded to give
him all the log-in details.  I am on another ftp, and you do not get access
until a lot of protocols are followed, everyone has their own log-in, of
which none of the info is put on a mailing list, it's all done in private
emails.

I am sorry to go on, these are just my thoughts.  I have expressed them to
Kiek offlist, and to a few other unfortunate souls this week as well ;-)

What thinks the rest of you, I am really curious.

pat