[Nagnagnag] Message for Jean Marc

TIM LAWLESS timlawless at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:45:15 EST 2003

Hi Jean Marc,

Did you get the Chris Watson attachment ok??

Hope so!

Cheers, Tim.

nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org >Subject: Re: [Nagnagnag] Chris Watson last night
>Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:27:06 +0000 > >Hi there, any news on the piccy
issue yet? About to get new YH >printed. > > Regards Jean-Marc > > > > >
> >>From: "mark at finnigan1.freeserve.co.uk" >> >>Reply-To:
nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org >>To: >>Subject: Re: [Nagnagnag] Chris Watson
last night >>Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:12:29 -0000 >> >>tim >> >>it would
have been cool to meet up! sorry i missedyou i forgot my >>red
>>carnation and copy of 'art o f the sixth sense' ! gad you enjoyed >>it.
i did >>nt have the bottle to speak with the man but my friend and
>>collaborator >>martin lilleker did at the end . RHK had 'something else
on ' my >>sources >>informed me. >> >>any one else see the performance?
>>To: nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org >>Date: 22 March 2003 09:33 >>Subject:
[Nagnagnag] Chris Watson last night >> >> >> >Greetings all, Like Mark,
enjoyed the Watson live in the Showroom >>cinema >> >in Sheffield, top
night. Huge vaults of naturalised sounds live >>and >> >direct from Kenya
and Scotland, close your eyes and you could >>have been >> >literally
there, Chris looked composed and focussed sat behind >>his Apple >> >Mac
laptop, occasionally with his headphones on to orchestrate >>the >>
>pieces, with Jon Wozencroft sat at the rear of the auditorium, >>looking
>> >very pensive, directing the visuals.. extremely arty night >>really,
there >> >were some Warp-type tunes and projected visuals in the front
bar >>as I >> >arrived, and plenty of media
intellectuals/students/professionals >>in >> >attendance. The highlight
of my night, undoubtedly occurred just >>after 7, >> >as I was idly
chatting on my mobile outside the front entrance, >>when a >> >familiar
figure wandered past...indeed it was Mr Watson >>himself...I >> >braced
myself and boldly extended a handshake, apologising for >>emerging >>
>from the dark (or stepping into the dark?) as a complete >>stranger, and
>> >chatted to the great man for about 5 minutes...explained my Cabs >>
>obsession which seemed to break the conversational ice, Chris >>then
talked >> >about the show with Jon Wozencroft, he also has some
performances >> >upcoming at the ICA in April/May on the "Cut and Splice"
festival >> >(details on the BBC's website, being covered by Radio 3
too), >>plus >> >mentioning it was cool to be back in Sheffield again but
that he >>visits >> >RHK regularly. He also plays live in the USA and
Sweden >>frequently. I >> >then tentatively asked as to whether Mr Kirk
would be appearing, >> >apparently yes, and Chris would "introduce me to
him", Watson had >>bought >> >tickets apparently for him, and after
recovering from these >>convulsions, >> >I eagerly bade CW farewell, and
returned to the bar, constantly >>scouring >> >the premises for any signs
of combat jackets and pony tails..CW >>also >> >distributed a leaflet
describing the "Weather Report" >>performance. Alas, >> >after 4 hours
consistent searchin', no sign whatsoever of Kirky. >>Never >> >mind,
Watson was superb, well worth a listening if you get the >>chance in >>
>London, and a friendly chap to boot! My annoyance upon later >>leaving
>> >Sheffield, that I had completely neglected to question CW on the >>
>collaboration with RHK was tempered in the knowledge that I had >>at
least >> >spoken to him! Sad, perhaps, but it completed a top night with
>>Masai >> >warriors and antelopes, ducks and gulls, played at sonically
>>devastating >> >levels... Hope I haven't bored you too much! Off to dig
out >>Outside the >> >circle of fire......Tim >> > >>
list >>Nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org