[Nagnagnag] Chris Watson last night

TIM LAWLESS timlawless at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 21:20:09 EST 2003

Did anyone else see the performance by General Magic, after CW had
finished?? Just interested in opinions, plenty of people were leaving as
I entered, the industrial noise seemed very Throbbing Gristle esque to
me!!!

Cheers Tim

P.S. Sorry didnt meet you Mark, I did meet up with Richard Lord though
and both of us were certainly scouring the joint for Kirk!!! Watson was a
top bloke, multi talented...imagining a collaboration with RHK sets the
pulse racing...

nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org >Subject: Re: [Nagnagnag] Chris Watson last night
>Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:42:13 +0000 > >Yes I was there. I really
enjoyed going to Sheffield last night, I >had a mild panic at around
7.35pm when I really wasn't sure where I >was, and where to park the car!
>Thankfully I made it in good time, the performance was great, of the
>two parts, part 2 'Ol-Olool-o' was my favourite, the visuals were >less
choppy, although some of the close up's of water in part 1 'The >Lapaich'
did look good. Sound wise things were great, its true about >the noisy
duck but that must have been the loudest bloody seagull in >the world in
the second film! > >dom. > >On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 10:12 AM,
>mark at finnigan1.freeserve.co.uk wrote: > >>tim >> >>it would have been
cool to meet up! sorry i missedyou i forgot my >>red >>carnation and copy
of 'art o f the sixth sense' ! gad you enjoyed >>it. i did >>nt have the
bottle to speak with the man but my friend and >>collaborator >>martin
lilleker did at the end . RHK had 'something else on ' my >>sources
>>informed me. >> >>any one else see the performance? >> >>cheers >>
>>mark f >>-----Original Message----- >>From: TIM LAWLESS >>To:
nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org >>Date: 22 March 2003 09:33 >>Subject:
[Nagnagnag] Chris Watson last night >> >> >>>Greetings all, Like Mark,
enjoyed the Watson live in the Showroom >>>cinema >>>in Sheffield, top
night. Huge vaults of naturalised sounds live >>>and >>>direct from Kenya
and Scotland, close your eyes and you could have >>>been >>>literally
there, Chris looked composed and focussed sat behind his >>>Apple >>>Mac
laptop, occasionally with his headphones on to orchestrate the >>>pieces,
with Jon Wozencroft sat at the rear of the auditorium, >>>looking >>>very
pensive, directing the visuals.. extremely arty night really, >>>there
>>>were some Warp-type tunes and projected visuals in the front bar >>>as
I >>>arrived, and plenty of media intellectuals/students/professionals
>>>in >>>attendance. The highlight of my night, undoubtedly occurred just
>>>after 7, >>>as I was idly chatting on my mobile outside the front
entrance, >>>when a >>>familiar figure wandered past...indeed it was Mr
Watson >>>himself...I >>>braced myself and boldly extended a handshake,
apologising for >>>emerging >>>from the dark (or stepping into the dark?)
as a complete stranger, >>>and >>>chatted to the great man for about 5
minutes...explained my Cabs >>>obsession which seemed to break the
conversational ice, Chris then >>>talked >>>about the show with Jon
Wozencroft, he also has some performances >>>upcoming at the ICA in
April/May on the "Cut and Splice" festival >>>(details on the BBC's
website, being covered by Radio 3 too), plus >>>mentioning it was cool to
be back in Sheffield again but that he >>>visits >>>RHK regularly. He
also plays live in the USA and Sweden >>>frequently. I >>>then
tentatively asked as to whether Mr Kirk would be appearing, >>>apparently
yes, and Chris would "introduce me to him", Watson had >>>bought
>>>tickets apparently for him, and after recovering from these
>>>convulsions, >>>I eagerly bade CW farewell, and returned to the bar,
constantly >>>scouring >>>the premises for any signs of combat jackets
and pony tails..CW >>>also >>>distributed a leaflet describing the
"Weather Report" performance. >>>Alas, >>>after 4 hours consistent
searchin', no sign whatsoever of Kirky. >>>Never >>>mind, Watson was
superb, well worth a listening if you get the >>>chance in >>>London, and
a friendly chap to boot! My annoyance upon later >>>leaving >>>Sheffield,
that I had completely neglected to question CW on the >>>collaboration
with RHK was tempered in the knowledge that I had at >>>least >>>spoken
to him! Sad, perhaps, but it completed a top night with >>>Masai
>>>warriors and antelopes, ducks and gulls, played at sonically
>>>devastating >>>levels... Hope I haven't bored you too much! Off to dig
out >>>Outside the >>>circle of fire......Tim >>>
list >>>Nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org
list >>Nagnagnag at hollyfeld.org