[Nagnagnag] Another Cabs DVD disaster

Jon Whitney turbid at turbid.com
Wed Jan 29 11:26:09 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Richard Smith - TW News wrote:

> I happen to like Happy Mondays...but regardless of that we can't deny that
> they were a major band of the time and highly influential.

Oh, I can deny it.  From this side of the pond, I bet I could ask 50
people in a record store to sing a Happy Mondays song and come up empty
handed.  Perhaps they were highly influential in the media's eyes in the
UK but then again so was that rivalry between Oasis and Blur, right?

When I think of highly influential, I think of names that frequently get
dropped by snotty music critics and record store clerks in reviews, but I
can't remember ever seeing Happy Mondays name-checked.  Certainly not even
remotely nearly as Cabaret Voltaire, My Bloody Valentine, Joy Division,
Velvet Underground, Wire, or hundreds of other bands that are generally
considered highly influential.

> Presumably no-one's going to rubbish the film for making out JD/New Order
> were important too?!

No, that's considered a "selling point" - a reason for people to get into
the theater or buy the DVD.

JXNWHOTQJ]
TURBID.COM