[Nagnagnag] [ot:reply2] -> _new_media_debate_

Mark Kolmar mark at burningrome.com
Mon Jan 13 11:26:49 EST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, -1 wrote:

> i'm sure we could go back and
> forth with these issues for awhile,

Yeah, maybe after this we can take it to private email, as we're drifting
further off.

> i think what i'm getting at is that if companies aren't
> allowed to innovate, we wouldn't get new technologies,
> tying ourselves to the past isn't going to help...

I think it is quite unfortunate that DVD video became tied back to NTSC
and PAL.  And only a movie studio paranoid could have come up with
something so asinine as region coding.

> it's been pushed back from 2005, however this time, there are
> going to be large monetary penalties for those that don't comply,
> along with other requirements:
> --------------
>
> also, check this out:
> [link]
> http://broadcastengineering.com/ar/broadcasting_politics_dtv/index.htm
>
> [excerpt]
> In the meantime, Representatives Billy Tauzin (R-La.) and John
> Dingell (D-Mich.) circulated a draft bill that would require
> broadcasters to begin digital-only broadcasting by Dec. 31, 2006,

The key word there is "draft".  Consider the 75yo widow who just wants to
watch her stories.  She votes.

> i remember reading about a lot
> of opposition when people went
> from black and white (actually greyscale) TV
> to color even though the advantages were great...
>
> so they made broadcasts backwards compatible..

That's how we ended up with NTSC.  With PAL at least they got the bright
idea to alternate phase, so that error comes out in intensity of color,
rather than color shift.

> i think the order of magnitude jump in
> quality is great, provided the pricing
> is acceptable....

Price isn't very good yet either.

Also, I wanted to mention, as far as I know the plasma displays are still
only 480p.  My widescreen tube can do 480p and 1080i.  I don't have an
HDTV tuner, though, and the set doesn't include one.  (I really don't care
just to watch The McLaughlin Group, and the sets with HDTV tuner were over
$500 higher in price.  As I said, I got it to watch movies.)

> here in the US, digital cable is standardizing (not HDTV yet)...
> and in fact in houston, Texas where i live, they've already
> switched over a lot cable channels to digital only...

There are many slow and backwards cable companies, including the one where
I live.  Time to call them one more time to complain about MONO audio on
all the channels, and ask them again when digital cable is coming.

> (i don't have cable, and in fact, don't watch much television..

I watch very little television aside from news and political programs in
the background.

--Mark