[Nagnagnag] _media_issues_

-1 rajg at nol.net
Fri Jan 10 17:28:03 EST 2003

hey jean marc,

i too have not yet succumbed to getting
a dvd player, or a VHS player for that
matter (i have laserdisc)...however if
i do want to watch something, my
parents have both the VHS (multi-national),
and just got a DVD player,

however, i have some comments
about your statements..

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:08:03 +0000
From: "john smith" <jean_marclawtonll@hotmail.com>
To: nagnagnag@hollyfeld.org
Subject: Re: [Nagnagnag] Made In Sheffield
Message: 4

>Well each to their own Richard, but DVD players seem expensive at the
>moment, but more than that, as far as I'm aware, you haven't got the option
>of being able to record and record over DVD's ie re-usable ones.

they are available for the computer, with DVD-RW, and
there are standalone DVD-R/+R players for recording off
of video sources, however they are VERY expensive..

re-recording isn't that big of deal, as blank DVD-R's can
be bought in bulk for under US$1.00 per disc...

>At least the Hacienda DVD is something which isn't on video already, but I
>reckon that the powers of Mammon will soon be trying to sell us our video
>collection on DVD, just like they tried to sell us our record collections
on
>cd a few years ago (and would have tried again with mini-disc if the things
>had ever caught on)

minidiscs are popular in other countries, such as in
asia...and are mostly used for transferring vinyl,
and making your own collections from cd/mp3/etc (at
least thats what i use it for)...

as far as re-releasing movies, yes, they are
being released with surround sound, and sometimes
many 'extra' features, which may or may not be
interesting..

for many consumers in the US, DVD players and movies
are selling in numbers greater than VHS, which is
probably due more for convenience and duration of
the media..

also, in the near future another format which supports
HDTV and high-definition formats will be released..these
will NOT be backwards compatible with DVD so far...

>I notice that sales of vinyl, new vinyl that is not second hand stuff, has
>increased tremendously in Britain of recent, its never died out here thanks
>to the dance music genres and its nice to see that vinyl in general is now
>selling well, I never did buy into cd sound being superior. However, the
>worrying thing is that the major record companies have reacted to vinyl
>refusing to die by releasing our old record collections, but this time on
>"deluxe" or "premium" vinyl. This means heavy slabs of vinyl not the wafer
>thin bits that they were flogging us a few years back. And the cost even
>more bloody expensive than a cd at times ie #20 (about US$28)

>One of the virtues of sticking to buying vinyl was it was a lot cheaper
than
>cds, but it seems this feature may now be about to disappear. Lets face it
>we're being farmed.

actually, i don't mind buying things on vinyl second-hand,
on-line, or from ebay (unless its something very rare,
most of the time its very cheap)..

however, the 'heavy-vinyl' versions are good for replacing
those titles that weren't pressed well originally..

>Interestingly enough Kirk favours vinyl and has a collection of 2 copies of
>everything he has released (except for stuff not released on vinyl) Most
>Cabs stuff is on vinyl, only 'International Language' as a major Cabs album
>isn't to the best of my knowledge (I know a lot of the recent re-hashes are
>only on cd) Personally I'd like to see a lot of Kirk's output get vinyl
>releases. One of the reasons he put 'Aural Illusions ' out was to see
>something of his own on translucent vinyl

>I don't know that much about DVD, does it have any advantages over video
>which justify cost and not being able to record over them? Can you get
blank
>ones even?

>       Jean-Marc

i'm not sure how much cabaret voltaire material
is vinyl only...but as far as the mixes go, about
5% were never on CD...and eventually i'm sure all
the tracks will be re-released..

the only advantages i see in DVD's are when
the material is remastered in video/audio quality,
and convenience in the form factor..

later

ne g  at iv e   1