[Nagnagnag] Made In Sheffield

CraigNet625 at netscape.net CraigNet625 at netscape.net
Fri Jan 10 14:48:02 EST 2003

"john smith" <jean_marclawtonll@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well each to their own Richard, but DVD players seem expensive at the
>moment, but more than that, as far as I'm aware, you haven't got the option
>of being able to record and record over DVD's ie re-usable ones.
>
>At least the Hacienda DVD is something which isn't on video already, but I
>reckon that the powers of Mammon will soon be trying to sell us our video
>collection on DVD, just like they tried to sell us our record collections on
>cd a few years ago (and would have tried again with mini-disc if the things
>had ever caught on)
>
>I notice that sales of vinyl, new vinyl that is not second hand stuff, has
>increased tremendously in Britain of recent, its never died out here thanks
>to the dance music genres and its nice to see that vinyl in general is now
>selling well, I never did buy into cd sound being superior. However, the
>worrying thing is that the major record companies have reacted to vinyl
>refusing to die by releasing our old record collections, but this time on
>"deluxe" or "premium" vinyl. This means heavy slabs of vinyl not the wafer
>thin bits that they were flogging us a few years back. And the cost even
>more bloody expensive than a cd at times ie #20 (about US$28)

Vinyl does have staying power and after buying some of these CD's and most recently boxed set (JD's "Heart and Soul" for example) and comparing it to my original Factory stuff and bootlegs from the period, I can honestly say I cannot tell much of a difference, especially when the original recordings are on a tape that is analog-based.

>One of the virtues of sticking to buying vinyl was it was a lot cheaper than
>cds, but it seems this feature may now be about to disappear. Lets face it
>we're being farmed.

More like hoodwinked to keep changing formats.

> >Interestingly enough Kirk favours vinyl and has a collection of 2 copies of
>everything he has released (except for stuff not released on vinyl) Most
>Cabs stuff is on vinyl, only 'International Language' as a major Cabs album
>isn't to the best of my knowledge (I know a lot of the recent re-hashes are
>only on cd) Personally I'd like to see a lot of Kirk's output get vinyl
>releases. One of the reasons he put 'Aural Illusions ' out was to see
>something of his own on translucent vinyl

"Red Mecca" still sounds spooky and great even on vinyl 18 or 19 years later as long as you had a good turntable and cartridge.

>I don't know that much about DVD, does it have any advantages over video
>which justify cost and not being able to record over them? Can you get blank
>ones even?

New to this list but was collecting stuff by the Cabs since 1981 along with Factory stuff...was never much of an internet user and knew little what happened to Kirk and Mallinder after the "Microphonies" album.

Good to see some interest in this stuff.  Used to put this "Voice of America" on the turntable when ever I entertained shaggy 60's types being a lot young than them and would get the eye rolling aggravation of comments like what is this "trash" and can we have some Beatles or Jefferson Airplanes or such....

Hope I am not noodling on too long...

>       Jean-Marc

Craig L.