[Nagnagnag] no escape

john smith jean_marclawtonll at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 2 20:58:31 EST 2003

I'm surprised you haven't seen this before its been around a fair bit. Its
filmed at Ladybower Resovoir which was where the RAF secretly tested Barnes
Wallis' 'bouncing bombs' culminating in the famous raid on the Rhine dams
which went a long way to winning the war for the allies. There is the famous
pompous film 'the dambusters' which includes shots from Ladybower.

Its a popular weekend location for Sheffielders, I used to frequent Crowden
/ Bleaklow / KinderScout more cos of the running and climbing available.

Most shows at the Hacienda were filmed, they used to show the visuals on a
screen in one of the bars, in fact one of the first (if not the first)
actual show was a Cabs video night to which hardly anyone went. This
connection was how the Baader Meinhof etc tracks got released by Factory.

It wasn't until Kirk invested some of their Rough Trade royalties into basic
video equipment that other Cabs shows got filmed. He had made films at art
college, they're very much like the stuff he still does now. Some of those
efforts occur in the Doublevision tape, which was one of the first 'pop'
video films.

Later on they got people like Peter Carey and Shamberg to make videos for
them, but apart from some BBC tv appearances there are very few films of the
Cabs live. The exception of course is the Viva Eight show circa Plasticity /
International Language which of course features me and Tamara! I presume
you've got / seen this show, the best Cabs on film in my opinion.

I think Richard is 'exorcising' the Cabs somewhat. He really doesn't like
people going on about it, especially 'reforming'. He's got plans to work
with others over the next year, which is where the misquote about not
playing live in 2003 comes from.

enough