[Nagnagnag] Biochemical Dread - 'Zanderix'

Clive Harris clive at doglover.com
Fri Apr 4 08:53:50 EST 2003

Hmmm... I just had an idea, based upon a rudimentary knowledge of linguistics (i.e., guesswork!) and an old Scorn album!

Now, it's possible that ~ix is merely the Dutch suffix for either a) a (collective) noun for certain groups or classes of animals or people, or b) the Dutch suffix for some kind of colony or city.  This suffix works it's way into English in such words as "dominatrix". (Don't ask me why *that* example springs to mind! ...ahem!)  It also bears a slight resemblance to the Russian suffix "~nik" which I believe kind of means "person".  "Sputnik" = "Fellow Traveller" and "~nik" also would get tacked on the end of English wordsto create terms like "Refuse-nik".

The other thing is that "Zander" is the title of a Scorn album and (for some reason) I've always associated that word with lizards.  Is there a lizard called a Zander?  I think there is.

Anyway, putting these two things together, you either have "Lizard-man", "Lizardmen" (Goblins?) or "The City of Lizards".

Like I said, though, this *is* all guesswork!  If I'm anywhere near right, I'll be chuffed!  I'm off to find that Dutch-speaking decorator!

Clive

###