[Grief] Grief Digest, Vol 98, Issue 27

telepathic at comcast.net telepathic at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 12:42:25 PST 2011

Welcome to the nightmare world of QUALITY KONTROL.

http://svirgula.org/?p=7#comment-12

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:03:53 -0500
From: Jon Whitney <turbid at gmail.com>
To: grief at hollyfeld.org
Subject: Re: [Grief] Remasters as CD + DD too

"The plant will handle it for you" - that's pretty scary actually.
This is why you get test pressings because I don't always trust the
in-house master at plants.

If the guy cutting the masters for an LP decides to drop out your
sound on tracks 2, 3, 4, whatever on each side, then you need to
either find another master or turn a single LP into a double LP.

I had this conversation from a douchey master one time saying "well,
you need to tell your bands to put their ballads at the end of the
side" when I got shitty test pressings back and the sides he was
working with were only approximately 22 minutes. DID YOU EVER HEAR
SGT. PEPPERS? "A Day In the Life" is not a quiet song (and that
album's over 40 years old and longer than 22 minutes per side). Then
he gets back to me a week later to tell me his lathe had to be
recalibrated.

*head, wall, bang*