[Grief] Thee instead of The

Jim Flannery jim at newgrangemedia.com
Wed Feb 17 14:03:03 PST 2010

Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 7:06:08 AM, one spoke:

J> Did not GP-O coin this? Are all these bands referencing him when they
J> do this, or is it just a coincidence? And also why is it so popular?

As a way of naming your band goes back further than GPO, and I imagine
most people *outside* of Industrialclicheland are either referencing
that tradition or coming up with it on their own. Offhand, I can think
of Thee Sixpence and Thee Midniters preceding anything GPO did, probably
more if I dug around in the 45s ... It's just a way of giving yourself a
little more "class" or "distinction", as opposed to GPO using to give
himself a little more, um, <cough> :-$ ...

--
Jim Flannery
jim at newgrangemedia.com