[Grief] Thee instead of The

Angus Spottiswoode swindonbakery at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:04:53 PST 2010

I've noticed it around a bit on occasion since I started following TG.
 From reading the Wreckers book, I know that he started changing the
way he spelled words as a way of breaking away from normality and
shaking things up a bit, a la Burroughs.
I don't think his version is a reference to the olde English way of
saying 'you'. I think it's more of an artistic quirk.
But I'm sure someone who has been following the band from the 70s can
proffer more and better info.

On Feb 17, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Jasper Dionisio wrote:

> Using "thee" in place of "the," as used by GP-O, is rather
> widespread. There's the Pigface album "Notes from Thee Underground,"
> there's Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra, I just found via
> Google a band called Thee Butcher's Orchestra... also I've seen it
> in other places, too, that I can't think of at the moment. What is
> the deal with this, does anyone know? Did not GP-O coin this? Are
> all these bands referencing him when they do this, or is it just a
> coincidence? And also why is it so popular? "Thee" is actually a
> conjugation of "thou," meaning "you"...

www.aspottiswoode.com
My LinkedIn Profile

http://swindonbakery.posterous.com/