[Grief] info from Cosey...

InnerSanctum XXVIII fredrik.ostrom at telia.com
Wed Oct 22 22:18:14 PDT 2008

I just read the following, rather pathetic, statement on T.G.'s site.
Suddenly Gen is on the wagon. Notice have the statement is signed. T.G. has
ALWAYS listed the participants name in alphabetical order, but not on this
occasion. And as far as I know Gen is NOW known as Genesis Breyer P-Orridge.
This 32AR is becoming a farce... Well, here's the statement:

When the Framed & Numbered Limited-Edition of The Thirty-Second Annual
Report of Throbbing Gristle record is released on November 4th 2008 we are
also making the music component and associated PDFs available in various
digital download formats starting at £ 7.77 (the same number as the
pressing). It has always been our intention to also make this release
available as a digital download, so those interested will have a choice: to
own and to add to their collections a reasonably priced original Throbbing
Gristle limited-edition Artwork, or the chance to hear the music alone.

Industrial Records Limited takes pride in releasing all kinds of
non-'industry-standard' products. This strategy began in the late 1970s'
when Industrial Records released a limited-edition boxed-set of cassettes of
Throbbing Gristle live performances. The price of that boxed-set translated
to the current 'cost of living' index would now cost in excess of £270. Just
as at the inception of Industrial Records some 30 years ago, we plan to
continue to challenge preconceptions about the nature of Art, Music and
Entertainment.

We do not expect all those interested to be be able to afford all our
products, some of which are (and will be) expensive, not only to manufacture
but also to distribute. However, at the same time we do not want anyone to
feel obligated to buy high priced Artifacts simply for the music they
include.
We intend to continue this trend and, in time, manufacture units or boxes,
artifacts and installations for home, shop or gallery that have a TG-style
audio generating element to them. This work has already begun with an
installation (titled A=p=p=a=r=i=t=i=o=n) presently at the 2008 Yokohama Art
Biennial, which features Throbbing Gristle's collaboration with renowned
White Cube artist Cerith Wynn Evans.

We are constantly surprised by the prices paid for old, second-hand
Throbbing Gristle and Industrial Records items sold in collector stores, and
particularly from one collector to another on auction sites such as ebay.
But we are mystified as to why that practice should be acceptable, but it is
not acceptable to pay those kinds of sums to the original Artist whose
imagination, effort and many, many hours of work created the product in the
first place. This Framed Edition is priced in relation to its production
cost and NOT as a high priced elitist Art item. Pre-orders for the Framed
Edition are already extensive, and so, even if bought purely as an
investment, it seems likely to be a good one, even in these turbulent
financial times.

Peter Christopherson, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Chris Carter & Genesis P-Orridge
for and on behalf of Industrial Records Limited - October 2008.

Fredrik