[Grief] TG in Paris

Angus Spottiswoode swindonbakery at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:35:44 PDT 2008

David - I know what you mean about the 'greatest hit' sets.
I think in the band's defense, the new versions of the songs SOUND a
lot different to me - due to being performed and processed through the
new technology that the band are using. To me they are (just about)
fresh enough sounding to justify the reliance on old material.
As to the recent complete performances of 2nd Annual Report... I think
this is a nice move, it feels like a classic conceptual joke on TG's
part, re-visiting where it all began, as it were. Plus maybe it'll
even sound better than before!

But I wonder if they included the "You're all wankers!" from the
original. I always liked that bit...

On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:41 AM, david brookes wrote:

> I'm kicking myself for not going, it would only have been a quick
> trip on Eurostar. I guess the 32nd Report LP is a live recording
> from Paris, from the clips I've seen on Youtube it sounds pretty good.
> I'm a little uneasy with all these backwards looking/greatest hits
> shows they've been doing recently though, it's not something I'd
> ever imagine TG ever considering and makes them no better than the
> myriad of 60's/70's rock bands (Genesis, Led Zep, The Stooges, The
> Police, et al) who have reformed over the last few years.
>
> From: swindonbakery at gmail.com
> To: grief at hollyfeld.org
> Subject: Re: [Grief] TG in Paris
> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:15:36 -0700
>
> Man, that sounds amazing. Very envious. Want one of those pocket
> knives!
> Thanks for the review.
> I hope we get a release of the show. I don't know if the banner on
> TG.com is for a live recording or what...
>
> On Jun 7, 2008, at 1:56 PM, cblanger wrote:
>
> Back from TG in Paris :
>
> They played a XXI century version of the 2nd annual report LP, so,
> as sleazy said "the 32th annual report"...then versions of slug bait
> and maggot death and after cease to exist ; the Coum Transmissions
> film "after cease to exist" was projected on screen during the
> second part of the set.
> They made an encore : zyklon B zombie
>
> The sound was LOUD ! Carter and sleazy at work most of the time. Few
> vocals and violin by Genesis. Few guitar by Cosey.
>
> Large venue with lot of space and bleachers. Not sold out at all. D.
> Tibet was attending the show.
>
> Merchandising : some TGV boxsets ; a commemorative set with 2 prints
> suitable for framing (endless knot and flash logo versions) + a
> pocket swiss army knife with IR logo) limited to 100 copies.
>
> Great show and great night. Deserve an official release like Camber
> Sands.
>
> d.

Please use this new, slightly different email address for me from now
on.
swindonbakery at gmail.com

www.aspottiswoode.com