[Grief] TGV reactions

andy at flesheatingants.com andy at flesheatingants.com
Fri Dec 28 10:36:17 PST 2007

Ok, I've had a look at Astoria and some of the older shows and I'll
start by saying Astoria looks and sounds fantastic.  The 5.1 mix is
superb, but it's not surprising since Mute are considered to be at the
cutting edge of producing 5.1 music releases.  The show is well shot,
from lots of different interesting angles, and I can't wait to check
out the other recent shows.  The older shows really are a different
story though...

I've had a look through at the vintage shows and I'm actually quite
shocked how bad they look.  Now, I am well aware about the bad
lighting, and single VHS camera etc. etc. - this isn't the issue, the
main issue is they did not track down remotely decent copies of the
tapes.  Considering how much effort went into TG24, with the searching
out of the best versions available, these releases just baffle me.
I've stuck some screen shots up from Heathen Earth and Oundle School
here:

http://www.brainwashed.com/tg/tgvcaptures.php

Now, even if the masters are unusable due to age, there have to be
good 1st and 2nd gen dubs still kicking about, even a copy of the
actual VHS releases has to be devoid of screens like this:
http://media.brainwashed.com/tg/images/video/tgvoundleschool12.jpg

There's nasty white lines throughout the films, and at points it does
get that bad.

I'm sure on the old video it would have been possible to make out the
porn on the TV?
http://media.brainwashed.com/tg/images/video/tgvheathenearth4.jpg

I had a look at the San Fran show as well, primarily at the end of the
concert - of which Discipline has been taken from this show and put on
compilation tapes and appears on a Cramps DVD as an extra.  I'm sure
these versions I've seen previously are a lot cleaner that this copy
of the show.

The shows sound fine, because the sound is ripped form the CD
releases, but really the picture is on par with the shit quality
bootlegs that were being sold on ebay - that made us all think "Wow,
this looks shit - I can't wait for an official release."

I'd really like to hear from someone who worked on TGV, why the tapes
used were of such bad quality.

-Andy