[Grief] TGV reactions

Angus Spottiswoode swindonbakery at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:44:41 PST 2007

This is an interesting issue.
I haven't watched any of the DVDs yet as my set only just arrived (#000068 !).
However, flicking through the book in the set I did notice the intro from Sleazy reads that when they made the masters for Oundle and Heathen Earth they made them "with all the colour controls on the little vision mixer/title machine cranked to 11".

Forgive me if this means nothing regarding the point here - I don't know. I know this doesn't explain why the Jettisound VHSs look different to the DVDs, but what I'm saying is maybe TG always intended colour over-saturation as a deliberate effect, and the new version restores this to how they originally wanted it to be! But maybe I'll change my tune once I see 'em!

I will say that for me TG have always re-defined what constitues "quality" audio or video. I mean, Second Annual Report still sounds like it was recorded on two Walkmen.
And yet of course it's one of the greatest records of all time!

Cheers