[Grief] In the Shadow of the Sun

andy at flesheatingants.com andy at flesheatingants.com
Wed Dec 26 10:31:04 PST 2007

Hmm...  Would you say the CD length is about 24/25 of the video
length?  The problem is likely down do with the difference between PAL
and NTSC, you often here about PAL speed up - with film lengths in
Europe being faster than in the US, due to there only being 24 FPS
with PAL and 25 with NTSC.

Seems dvdcompare.net is down for refurbishment, but an example of this here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041025192528/www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5567

Das Boots:
US: "The mini-series is split over 2 discs (108:15 min - NTSC / 185:18
min - NTSC"
UK:"2-disc set, split over a 103:57 min single-layer first disc, and a
177:54 min dual-layer disc"

I'm assuming if there's PAL speed up there is also NTSC slowdown for
films made in PAL - I assume Das Boot will have been, and any of Derek
Jarman's films will have been also.

This is what is a bit worrying about TG releasing TGV in NTSC - it was
filmed in PAL so the discs will almost certainly suffer from "NTSC
slowdown" and thus comparing the lengths to the lengths of the audio
discs will show the music is slowed down on the DVD.  Anyone want to
test this theory?  It's also rather odd since I'm sure Sleazy
mentioned on the Thresholdhouse site awhile back that he hated working
in NTSC and wasn't going to do the Coil boxset in NTSC...

-Merry belated X-mas to you all,
Andy