[Grief]

David Bourgoin david_bourgoin at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 22:06:59 PDT 2007

>From another list..........................

Mount Kailash  is considered as a sacred place in four

religions—Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Bön
faith... It is the
only
significant mountain peak never to be scaled by man as
a deference to
Buddhist and Hindu beliefs.

In Hinduism
According to Hindu mythology, Shiva, the destroyer of
evil and sorrow,
resides at the summit of a legendary mountain named
Kailāśā. This
Kailāśā is regarded in many sects of Hinduism as
paradise, the
ultimate
destination of souls and the spiritual center of the
world.

Some traditions also aver that the mountain is Shiva's
linga and Lake
Manasarowar below is the yoni of His consort.
According to one
description[citation needed] found in the Puranas,
Mount Kailash is the
center of the world, its four faces are made of
crystal, ruby, gold,
and
lapis lazuli. It is the pillar of the world; is 84,000
leagues high; is
the center of the world mandala; and is located at the
heart of six
mountain ranges symbolizing a lotus. The four rivers
flowing from
Kailash then flow to the four quarters of the world
and divide the
world
into four regions.

In Buddhism

The Tantric Buddhists believe that Kailash is the home
of the Buddha
Demchok (also known as Demchog or Chakrasamvara)[1],
who represents
supreme bliss. It is said that Milarepa, champion of
Tantric Buddhism,
arrived in Tibet to challenge Naro-Bonchung, champion
of the Bön
religion of Tibet.

--- Stephen Robinson