[Grief] TG Now and Then

Mark Jarvis markjarvis at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 10:26:51 EDT 2005

I thought TGNOW was quite original and definitely listenable.  I have it ranked high on my iTunes server so it plays quite a lot during the shuffle.  During the first era of TG I loved the early stuff a la 2nd Annual Report but appreciated everything that they did.  Beyond the music, I loved their other stuff too - the movie After Cease to Exist (which was very shocking to me as a 15 year old impressionable punk), their uniforms, the collages that arrived in the mail.  I absorbed everything they did with glee.  I was really devastated when they split.

Post-split, I loved Psychic TV's first album and became quite a fan of their early music although I had no interest in the temple stuff or their new image.  I tried hard to get into Chris and Cosey but gave up.  I think it was a combination of feeling like the electronic music was only half-baked plus some of the themes.  The "hairy beary" song was the nail in the coffin.

PTV's acid house phase was great too.  And Coil had me hooked.  I always enjoyed Gen's solo stuff too.

To this day, I remain surprised at how they all evolved - if I take a snapshot of their individual output from last year and then look at TGNOW as a combined effort, it is so much better than anything they did individually.  There was definitely chemistry in TG, then and now.

Like you all, I look forward to the CD and DVD of the Astoria gig, crave DVDs of the other live filmed performances (San Francisco, Nottingham, Manchester Rafters, Heaven, Heathen Earth recording, Oundle school, etc.).  I can't understand why they have been so long in coming.

mark