[Grief] Camber Sands

Alex Morrice alex at walkeastlothian.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 18:50:37 EDT 2005

I approached the new material with some cynicism. And some of it I don't
like, but then I never liked everything they did anyway. What I think
the new songs have proved is that there is still a real ability among
the band members to bounce ideas off each other and come up with
something that is entirely new - and just as valid as it always was.

I've followed the post TG careers of all the band (with varying degrees
of closeness!) and there have been moments of real originality and -
dare I say it - beauty from everyone concerned. (For example, the track
that's playing as I type is "Who'll Fall" by Coil. An incredibly
haunting and powerful piece). But some of the time, following some of
the solo careers has felt like hard work.

For them to break up in 1981 was entirely appropriate. But we're not the
same people we were then, and now it's time to see if the old magic(k)
is still there. On the basis of songs like "Spitting Sky", I'd say it is.

Alex