[Grief] Discipline (Marc Almond version)

Louisa Bannon triskela at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 14:41:58 EDT 2004

From: Jon Whitney <turbid at turbid.com>
>so where's the second recording from?

If you are referring to the live at Hammersmith Odeon recording - I have no
idea as I do not have that recording. Once upon a time I provided you with
the flexi version - that's all I have. My circle of friends in Los Angeles
all thought Marc was backed by TG, or at least by Gen and Sleazy with whom
Marc worked on (IIRC, mostly backing vocals) "Force the Hand of Chance".
Further, the whole PTV and Soft Cell nexus is not at all a stretch in my
view - they have also worked on and off with Dave Ball over the years. So
these people are all friends and acquaintences. BTW, it's entirely possible
that the Flexipop magazine claims the TG connection based on the authors of
the song covered, I just haven't come across it in a while - and yes, I
think it has "Haircut 100" as the cover so I am not exactly jonesing to find
it. I keep the flexi in with my TG singles - where it makes the most sense
to me. If and when I come across the Flexipop mag again, I'll  be sure to
check it. Based on the Zig Zag interview, I think the "and friends" bit went
uncredited because the Flexipop people were obviously clueless wankers. Marc
probably recorded the thing, they forget the name of his band, printed it as
" Marc Almond and Friends", and voila - eternal confusion.

Further on in that interview I provided before there's this:

-----------------------------------
MA: He really liked the idea. I just thought it was good ... 'Discipline'!
It's so odd doing a Throbbing Gristle cover-version as well. I must be the
first person!

ZZ: It seemed to work well when you supported The Banshees at Hammersmith
Odeon, even though some of the audience was rather against you ...

The suggestion seems to be that Marc played Discipline live at the concert
under discussion. It dates the events in question to circa 1983. All of this
is conjecture based on the online version of that Zig Zag magazine interview
with Marc Almond.

I think it's kinda funny that we are discussing at length a recording that
most people can't stand. I have to assume that the live recording is more of
the same.

Now myself, I love marc Almond...

- Triskela