[Grief] Discipline (Marc Almond version)

Louisa Bannon triskela at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 21:33:54 EDT 2004

From: Jon Whitney <turbid at turbid.com>
>yeah, i didn't originally write that entry, so i'm just going on what was
>already given to me.

I think it was I who told you this, right Jon? I don't know where I heard it
either, but I always thought it was TG - improbable or not. I figured it
might at least have been Sleazy and Gen.

Anyway, there's this here:
Interviewed by Simon W. (taken from the UK magazine ZIGZAG, December 1983)
http://marcalmond.tripod.com/media/interview/zigzagdec83.html

------------------------------------
ZZ: So why did you record 'Discipline'?

MA: Because I thought it was really good. I liked the idea, when Flexipop
said to do a free flexi-disc, right? All these bands do nice little happy
tunes. I just thought it would be really great to have a Throbbing Gristle
number on the cover! And, it was like Haircut 1OO Underneath ... I just
thought it would be really great ...

ZZ.: To have the names Carter, Christopherson, P-Orridge, Tutti, on the
cover ...

MA: Yes, P-Orridge on the cover, I thought that was great! Then a couple of
weeks later Psychic T.V. were on the cover themselves.

ZZ: Who played on that? Marc Almond and Friends ...

MA: Well, it was meant to be the Mambas, but they credited it wrong. Me,
Annie and Matt Johnson.

ZZ: Did you tell Genesis what you were going to do?

MA: He really liked the idea. I just thought it was good ... 'Discipline'!
It's so odd doing a Throbbing Gristle cover-version as well. I must be the
first person.

That would seem to settle it. Presuming the source can be trusted as
accurate.

- Triskela