[Grief] S036 Club, Berlin

Mon Feb 9 23:15:48 EST 2004

hi cameron,

an old west-berliner here

>What is/ was the S036 Club in Berlin?

so36 used to be the most well known venue in
berlin for all sorts of underground punk things
end seventies/early eighties. although located
directly in the heart of kreuzberg (so36 means
sued ost =south east 36, like you have those wc1n
3xx codeing in england) the most alternativ part
of west-berlin, besides schoeneberg, the so36 has
been a club for the wealthy from the beginning
on. if you were a regular squatter, street punk ,
whatever, you'd rather hang out at the risiko or
the trinkhalle. concerts at the so36 always
costed up to 4 times more than regular punk shows
these days. that's basically why no one i know
attended both tg shows, although they were on for
two nights in a row.

>'Wreckers of Civilisation' sort of glosses over, what
>was, presumably, a big deal for TG playing outside
>England for the first time. Was there a connection
>with a 'scene' there?

of course everybody who was active in the very
early scene (konrad schnitzler, graf haufen,
burkard 'zensor', dimitri 'atonal' hegemann,
etc.) was there at least for one show and those
concerts definitely gave a big kick to people
organizing show, running tape labels, etc.

>I just stuck 'S036 Berlin' into a 'Yahoo search' and a
>lot of bands seem to be still playing there.

it's still a kind of alternative place but mainly
directed towards a more overground mainstream
crowd. the dancefloor nights are still the most
underground you'll find (techno-wise) in berlin
but the last worth going show i've seen there was
a laptop clicks'n'cuts thing with
pita/pole/fennesz, etc. already a few years ago...

best,
s t e f a n

THROBBING GRISTLE LIVE!   14-16 May 2004
IRONFLAME.de  prdsentiert:
Anreise ab Berlin, Hannover, Magdeburg, Kvln, Dortmund...
Unterbringung, Tickets, Vor-Ort-Transfers,...
Info: http://www.ironflame.de/tg2004/

: IRONFLAME.de :
: zentrale deutschsprachige informationsadresse fuer
. industrial_ritual_atonal_difficult.electronics_darkfolk