Antw: RE: Antw: [Grief] TG24 extras

ellis britzius zontar_98115 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 07:49:21 EST 2004

Hello,
I enjoy reading your entries, as you seem to have the most to say, and write very well. I am 55 and started collecting TG material with the "Greatest Hits" LP. Quickly I moved to "Heathen Earth" and then all the rest. A guy I was talking to at some record store volunteered to loan me his copy of the 24 hours box set to make copies. It was unbelievable. I believe I have a copy of just about everything, except maybe the Sordide Sentimental version of "Five Knuckle Shuffle".
Joy Division are one of my favorites, too.

ellis

Louisa Bannon <triskela at hotmail.com> wrote:
>They are all grey, so? I still do not see the similarities................

See:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2592935985&category=43708
(this is the only reference I could find quickly. It's not my auction. I
sold my copy a long time ago when things were more "collectible" and
therefore more lucrative.)

The original deluxe package for "Still" was a gatefold double-vinyl folder
done with grey cardboard. The interior record sleeves were grey cardboard
also. Markings were all done in white. This package (which was the regular
release) was then afixed at the fold to a hard cardboard binder with ivory
colored ribbon. The binder was marked with white lettering also -- just like
the interior gatefold package. The binder itself was bound in the same kind
of grey fine threaded binding material as the current TG24 -- very like a
book bound in a fine threaded canvas. The overall look and feel is
identical, or nearly so (granting some leeway for the fact that one was a
double vinyl package and TG24 comprises 25 CDs). "Still" was also a kind of
retrospective of rare tracks and live material.

Wasn't Peter Saville the designer for Joy Division?

Anyway, it doesn't mean anything in particular. I am just placing TG24 into
the context of similar projects from other acts. I don't think it's unlikely
that TG knew precisely how the original release of "Still" was packaged.

At heart, TG is a group of semi-talented artists and designers that found
they had a lot to say about a particular area of modern culture -- that of
popular music. In that particular field they were able to cunningly combine
their collective talents and arrive at interesting results.

In the Industrial News pamphlet in TG24, Christopherson says that the music
wasn't as important as the process they used to present it. To me he is
highlighting the overall presentation of TG in addition to just the music.
While there may be aspects of humour in some of their choices, I also think
such humour is mitigated by a kind of seriousness as well. We could call it
a playful, but earnest approach.

A quote from Peter: "The medium is not the message."

Now he doesn't get the final word (we all get to decide that for ourselves),
but I think it's worth considering what he might mean by that statement in
terms of TG's output. A lot of what TG often did was a kind of response to
the things going on around them. Genesis, in particular I think, likes to
make it out as if they were working in some kind of isolation or cultural
vacuum, but that's obviously absurd. They very potently reacted to the
existing "rock" scene around them.

One thing I find kind of funny was how back in the day they didn't really
give a damn about pirate works as long as they got some copies. At the time,
they fashionably and smartly opposed the average thinking in the music
industry with such a position. The obviously let things go a little too long
before getting back in the game and they are now VERY concerned with
bootleggers. I'd say it's pretty clear that they they aren't too comfortable
in the current digital climate and are trying to take back their territory
(C&C pulled a lot fo their Mp3 material offline). I am not one to deny it
to them, what's theirs is theirs. At the same time, how much mileage can
they expect to get from material about a quarter of a century old? I paid
for my copy, but how successful is this stuff really?

What's the average age of the list members? How many of us are there? What
are the limitations for TG24 or TG+? How close to sold-out are they?

-- Triskela