[Grief] Industrial History

Mattias Hanson mattias.hanson at home.se
Thu Aug 26 13:30:39 EDT 2004

I must say I'm a tad surprised of the rather harsh and relentless tone this latest threads have evoked. First off, I have to say I find it distasteful to use this list for gaining access to music without paying the artists what they are due. That should be frown upon. And no, it's not legit just because it concerns hard-to-get titles. However if material is out-of-print and no release is  due in the foreseeable future we might be able to discuss it. But not on a public forum who's aim is to be a place discuss TG-related matters.

The bashing of the early California scene is new to me, to me it's an equally important and actually in parts it was more lively than the British one. Personally I rate Cazazza and Non every bit as high as TG and see no collision in that. Both the punk scene and industrial scene in Europe, foremost in Great Britain, was predated and was sparked by acts from underground scenes in America. New York bands like Ramones gave the spark to the British scene, whilst another New York outfit Suicide played an important role in the developing of both the punk and the industrial scenes. Even The Residents played their part in inspiring Californian acts, like Jello Biafra and others.

And then of course we have the German scene with Can, Faust , Neu, Kraftwerk and others who was an inspiration for TG and other industrial acts worldwide.

So to conclude, even if TG was the outfit that was able to be the focus and engine of the industrial scene worldwide in the late seventies, mainly through IR and was able to mould all these different influences to something original and actually was commercially successful with it they were neither the start nor the end of the industrial music scene.

And as you all know, it was Monte Cazazza who coined the term industrial music.

So instead of limiting your view to trying to maintain the idea of British superiority you should openly and without prejudice check out the early California scene, Suicide and the Kraut scene and be mesmerized.

And namedropping Cage is a sign of ignorance. Even though he of course played a role in changing the perception of sound, he was not alone and the Electro-acoustic scene was and is complex. It might also be added that much of the ideas that the industrial scene builds upon was introduced in the 1910's by the Futurists.

So, if you got ears.... listen!

Mattias Hanson